Simplified RP Diet Templates: Weight Loss, Plain and Simple
by Dr. Mike Israetel, Chief Sport Scientist |
Feb 01, 2019
Our Original RP Diet Templates brought the science of progressive dieting to hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. They are currently in their third generation, having been optimized based on the latest findings in sport nutrition and user feedback, and are more effective than ever. It's hard to beat a product that's so well proven, so that's not what the Simplified RP Diet Templates were designed to do.
Our intent in developing these simpler, less rigorous templates, was to bring the effectiveness of the originals to more of you. To do that, we created a product that gets you results comparable to those of the original templates, but does so simpler. A lot simpler.
While the original templates are ideal for users who are accustomed to counting macros and measuring portions out to the gram, this level of precision isn't for everyone.
For many a busy dieter, an effective, healthy and sustainable weight loss diet that fits your day without demanding scheduling or portioning precision is exactly "what the doctor ordered".
Fewer meals, simpler foods, and only the most basic measurement instructions with zero need for math of any kind. Every day of the diet is very similar, so there's no need to juggle multiple meal plans and or adjust your diet for different types of workouts (if you do any at all, which is in no way a focal point of this diet).
Do the Simplified RP Diet Templates guarantee the same level of athletic performance as the Original (Fat Loss) Diet Templates? No. If athletic performance is your priority, the originals will continue to be your best bet. But, if you want to lose weight/fat with as little complexity as possible, the Simplified RP Diet Templates were designed for you!
For further specifics on the way these and the originals compare, read on:
- Different Meal Number: The fat loss diet templates all have 6 total meals per day, including a workout shake. The simplified templates have only 3 main meals per day, no workout shake, and an optional snack. While both ways of eating lead to results, the fat loss templates are more geared for performance and the simplified templates for ease of use and flexibility.
- Optional Snack: To help improve diet adherence, the simplified templates have an optional snack, worth a "x" hundred calories per day of literally anything you want to eat. This snack is factored into the diet, so it won't keep you from achieving your goals, but it will let you get a taste of your favorite foods that might not always be template-friendly.
- Meals Don't Vary Based on Workouts: ...if you do any at all. Your daily meal plan stays quite static from meal to meal, regardless of time of day or physical activity.
- Fewer Diet Phases: The original fat loss diet templates have 3 total calorie-reduction phases; Fat Loss 1,2 and 3, while the simplified templates only have two phases: Weight Loss 1 and 2, making them less precise but easier to get through. (Both have a Base and New Base phase.)
- Simplified Measuring: The fat loss templates specify the number of grams of proteins, carbs, and fats to eat in every main food group for each meal. This gives them precision but requires some math to ensure desired food quantities. The simplified templates list food quantities only in actual weight of food, requiring basic measurement only, though this too is optional (see next point)!
- Portion Guide Visualizations: Relatedly, the simplified templates also feature a diagram for each diet phase that shows the relative amount of food from each food group alotted during that phase. This scaled portion picture gives you an at-a-glance reference to keep you on track without weighing or measuring. If you prefer to weigh and measure, great, but this visual may still come in handy here and there (think on the go or when you don't have tools - or time - for more precision).
- Altered Macros: The fat loss templates have the kinds of combinations of proteins, carbs, and fats that are tailored to athletes, allowing for fat loss while continuing to optimize for sport performance. The simplified templates prescribe higher amounts of proteins, carbs, and fats per meal, making them more balanced and easier to incorporate into everyday eating.
- Expanded Weight Ranges: While the fat loss templates max out at 340 lb users, the new ones support weight loss for users weighing up to 400 lbs.
We hope this article helped clarify the differences between our original and new, simplified diet templates! If you're not sure which ones are right for you, ping us on Live Chat and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction!